Never Miss a Chance to Do the Most Good
Please enter your name, email and zip code below to sign up!
The Salvation Army
SHELTER, TRANSITIONAL HOUSING,
& campus Care Volunteer
Volunteer Position Description:
Help clean, straighten, and disinfect studio apartments in the Emergency Safe Shelter and Three Bedroom apartments in The Salvation Army Transitional Housing – Stepping Stones. Custodial volunteers prep living spaces for turnover in order to help move families from the streets of Spokane into a stable living environment as quickly as possible.
- Serve Food to Way-Out Shelter guests
- Interact in a positive manor with guests, engaging them in uplifting conversation when the opportunity presents itself
- Help encourage or teach basic life skills through positive interactions
- Gather cleaning supplies from Family Resource Center / appropriate custodial area.
- Remove any personal items left by guests into rubbish bins.
- Wipe down all surfaces with disinfecting spray.
- Sweep & Mop floors
- Wipe down bed frames & disinfect mattresses
- Clean bathrooms
Knowledge, Skills and Physical abilities required:
- Pass Must be able to communicate effectively with staff and guests
- Must be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision
- Have an eye for detail
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or continuous basis
- Ability to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, carts, doors, and reach overhead
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs on a regular basis
- Perform other duties as assigned